Sunday, December 6, 2009

My Teaching Adventure!

By going to these Providence Schools every week really has made a huge difference in my teaching experience. Every job I've had since I was 15 had to do with children, but never actually going into a classroom. My mother is a Pre-School teacher and I've gone to work with her and seen her teach her children but by actually working with them hands on has really gotten me ready for my own classroom one day. Every week when i go into the elementary school i sit in the back of the classroom and observe the daily lessons and activities my teacher does with the children. I watch how my teacher handles the children's needs and problems and how she responds to their questions and answers. After observing for a little while the children always get off of the alphabet rug and sit at their desks ready to draw and practice their letters. They learn a new letter every week and have to draw a picture of the letter and practice writing the letter in their journals. I walk around and help the students with their letters and give them a stamp or a star on their paper if they've done a good job listening and following directions. By sitting in the classroom every week i already have learned all of the children's names and what they need help with and what they are capable of. When becoming a teacher, you first need to learn all about each child's history and their learning skills before starting to teach them. You cant have a classroom filled with children not knowing their learning capability. A teachers role is to never have the children be afraid of you, you always want them to tell you whatever their feeling and talk with you almost like a counselor. Its better to be close with your teacher so they can help you instead of having problems with your teacher because that wont get you anywhere. Looking back, i can still remember my favorite teachers and the impact that each teacher has had on my life. I can still remember the teacher i was afraid of and were mean to me. As a teacher you never want to have that image of yourself on children. By going every week to these Providence schools also has helped me work and teach ESL children. When i become a teacher i could have many ESL children in my classroom and from attending this Elementary school i have a lot more experience working with them than before i started my service learning. By going to these schools every week i also have gained patience with the children. For example, some of the children wont sit still when i am tutoring them one on one. They are antsy and sometimes I feel like they don't want to listen, so by going every week i have learned to be more patient with the children and by asking them nicely to pay attention instead of getting fed up and angry will really get the children to listen to me and respect me as a teacher. By doing service learning hours it has really gotten me ready to be in my own classroom someday. Just by going in the classroom and watching all the different activities and ways to teach the children has made me feel more comfortable and ready to have my own classroom someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment